Yanks Beat Red Sox, Clinch Tie For A.L. Pennant

BOSTON, Sept. 25 (UP)--Big Chief Allie Reynolds, the strong-armed Indian righthander, assured the New York Yankees of at least a tie for the American League pennant today, pitching and batting the world champions to a 3-2 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

The quarter-blooded Indian from Oklahoma made certain of finally reaching the 20-victory mark for the first time in his big league career by belting a single with two out in the top of the ninth inning to snap a 2-2 tie and drive in Irv Noren with the winning run.

Noren, who entered the game in the seventh as a sub for the ailing Gene Woodling in left field, opened the ninth by coaxing a pass. It was only the second walk off Sid Hudson, who went all the way, allowing nine hits to absorb his 18th loss against 10 victories.

A sacrifice by Gil McDougald sent Noren to second and a long fly to center by Billy Martin moved the base runner to third.

The victory increased the Yankees' first place margin over the idle Cleveland Indians to 2 1/2 games.