New Educational TV By Passes Undergrad

Educational television for college use to a long, way from a reality and the chance that if will ever replace class room and lecture hall is even more remote. Dean Francis Keppel '38, intimated yesterday.

Keppel, Dean of the Faculty of Education, was commenting on plans of the Lowell Institute Cooperative Broadcasting Council, of which Harvard is a member, to use Channel 2 in Boston for educational television.

Keppel enthusiastically supported the general arms of such a station, if and when it was established, but he felt that it would have a "limited effect" on under graduate teaching, at the University.

At the moment more than 25 educators and spokesmen for civic groups have backed this plan at hearings held under the direction of the state legislative Committee on Educational Television.

Plan Due June 2

The institute had originally field plans to set up each a station early last spring before the F.C.C. announced that it was releasing F.C.C. channels for educational use. The state committee must now tile a plan to put such a channel in use in June 2, otherwise the station will be released for commercial use.

High cost is one of the other blocks to maintaining an educational channel her Pei estimated that final capital cost to set up the station would run above $300,000 with an annual operating expense of about $220,000.

The Dean of Education saw the greatest effect of educational television on secondary education and on men already graduated from colleges. I would here that if would have a substantial wide influence." So emphasis. "There is just no other was to reach that need and is anxious to watch educational problems.

But he did not see any immediate effect upon general college teaching, nor did he feel that the Boston channel would be used extensively by the Harvard Undergraduate.