Among the Missing

Last spring, several aggrieved students wrote a musical about the world's fifth largest library entitled, "There Are No Books in Widener." The main character was a soprano librarian who made a fortune selling out the stacks to a shady book worm in Central Square. The librarian then covered up the foul deed, warbling to anxious students that their book was "overdue to an officer."

Although this musical thief couldn't sell out the stacks today, her excuse is as valid as ever. Presently, there are five thousand officers' books overdue--more than on third of Widener's current circulation. Furthermore, most of these books are not destined to return for months. Although every book is classed as "overdue" after two weeks, the library doesn't bother Faculty members with fines or warnings for almost a full year.

While officers may sometimes need books for a longer period then students, a year is too long to let Widener's charges languish on some official's shelf. Besides keeping books from circulation for a long period, an office may depart on a leave of absence and take his little collection with him.

The library claims that since it will recall an officer's books on demand, the system is fair enough. But they admittedly don't advertise this service because of its expense; hence few people use it. Besides, it often takes a long time to recover the book, as the officer may temporarily refuse to return it.

Recognizing that officers require loans than undergraduates need not mean giving them unlimited library privileges. Instead of setting up an unreasonable standard and not living up to it, widener should grant officers a longer book loan, perhaps a month. At the end of this period, however, the library should collect its property.