McCarthy Speech Hits Dulles Policy

But He Reasserts His Loyalty To Eisenhower's Government

Although senator McCarthy yesterday affirmed his loyalty to the Eisenhower administration, the antagonism between the two opposing Republican camps still smoulders.

In a radio and television statement, the Wisconsin Senator termed the President an "honorable man" who is nevertheless misguided by his Secretary of State. He said that he is in total disagreement with Mr. Dulles on the question of free world trade with Communist China.

The Senator then appealed to the american people to flood the White House with letters and telegrams demanding that United States aid to nations trading with Communist China be cut off.

Again disagreeing with the President, Senator McCarthy reiterated his belief that the influence of Communism in goverment will be the key issue in the 1954 and 1956 political campaigns. But he carefully avoided any reference to John Paton Davis, State Department aid who figured prominently in this week's debate.

There is still open warfare between the two elements of the G.O.P. Both sides realize that stronger opposition would be political suicide. In his statement yesterday, McCarthy once again announced that he will give his full support to any and all Republican controal of Congress. The address brought a clarification of the Senator's views, however. In stating that he continued to regard Communism in government as a crucial issue, he said that he will concern his campaign with the Roosevelt and Truman administrations; he assumed that any who remained would be cleaned out by next fall.

Reacting to double-barreled rebuffs from the President and Dulles, McCarthy issued a 600-word statement in which he:

1. Scoffed at suggestions that he was challenging Eisenhower's party leadership. "Ridiculous and untrue," he said.

2. Refused to retreat an inch from the previous stands with which the administration disagreed.

3. Called on Dulles to "reappraise our whole policy" toward allies trading with Red China