Swimmers Top Tigers, Penn To Gain First Place in EISL

Princeton made it close, but not quite close enough. Pennsylvania didn't have a prayer.

The Crimson swimmers returned to Cambridge last night with two more victories and a seven-win, no-loss record. At Princeton, it was 49 to 35; at Penn, it was an overwhelming 74 to 12. The brace of wins over Ivy opponents catapults the Crimson into first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League, with five victories.

After their closest meet of the year Saturday at Princeton's pool, Hal Ulen's swimmers went over to Philadelphia yesterday and made sport with the Quakers for a couple of hours, giving them a single first and no seconds all afternoon.

Don Mulvey, Ken Emerson, and Bill Travis set the tone of the Penn meet with an opening victory in the 300-yard medley relay. Mulvey later won the 200-yard backstroke; Emerson took the 200-yard breast-stroke, breaking a 16-year Harvard record in 2:24.8; and Travis anchored the victorious 400-yard freestyle relay, preceded by John McNamara, Jim Jones, and Mal Harris.

Lost Only 50

The Crimson swept all but the 50 in the freestyle events: Dave Hedberg took the 100; Marv Sandler won the 220; and Dick Fouquet took the 440.

Al Rapperport swam the 150-yard individual medley in 1:38.5 to break a Harvard record. In the dive, Pete Dillingham was first with 25 points to spare.

On Saturday, the meet was undecided until the final 400-yard freestyle relay. With the score 42 to 35 in the Crimson's favor, Princeton could have salvaged a tie by winning the relay. But Ulen threw in his four top sprinters: McNamara picked up a yard in the first 100-yard leg, Captain Ron Huebsch and Sandler gained another, and Hedberg spread it to a four-yard lead in the final leg.

Besides top-scoring Hedberg, Mulvey won the backstroke, Dillingham won the dive, and Mulvey, Emerson, and Huebsch won the medley relay.