Outing Club Turns Boating Trip Into Swim Expedition

Outing Club canoers came, saw, and sank into the Piscataquog and Contocook Rivers on their major white water trip this season.

Three of the five HOC members ventured into the cold, rough waters of stormy southern New England during the Spring vacation. But they got an unexpected and unseasonal swimming lesson when their hard-luck canoe labeled the "Wreck of the Housatonic" yielded the three, John M. Hey '56, Pauly T. to the rapids and smashed against a rock. The three, John M. Hey '56 Paul T. McElroy '53, and Benjamin L. Moltman '55, swam to safety girdled by life preservers.

The canoe earned its title in 1951 when it was damaged going over a waterfall on the Housatonic River on its initial trip. Last year it was driven against railroad pilings. Repaired and re-simonized this year, it was used and, for the third consecutive time, injured.

Incident Halts Train

When the canoe smashed up this year, a Boston and Maine Railroad engineer stopped his freight train to watch the accident. Later, a mill operator came to the drenched members' rescue by giving them the sanctuary of his boiler room in order to dry off.

Heavy rains swelled the rivers over their banks. As a result, parts of the region had to be labelled "disaster areas." The members wore life preservers to keep themselves afloat and protect themselves against ramming into rocks.

Despite the hex on the "Wreck of the Housatonic," the Outing Club will go ahead with plans to take the canoe on other trips this Spring.