Maids, Janitors to Vote Today on Joining AFL

By Richard H. Ullman

University maids and janitors will vote tomorrow to decide whether they will join the American Federation of Labor or stay in the University union, HUERA. Indications were last night that if they choose to join the AFL, there will be a strike.

If the two groups choose to join the AFL, they may be called out on a sympathy strike by the union, even though Harvard pays the highest wages of any institution. The AFL could first vote to strike for equal wages at other schools and then force a sympathy strike here.

The maids and janitors, now units in the HUERA, will vote as separate units. It is possible that one group will choose to stay with the HUERA and the other go over to the AFL.

Both Sides Confident

Mrs. Helen Maynard, president of the HUERA, said last night, "I know that both maids and janitors will vote to stay with us."

But Matthew L. McGrath, New England director of the AFL affiliated Building Service Employees International Association, is also confident. "We are sure to win by at least five to one," he said.

Almost 600 employees are eligible to vote. Informed opinion gives the maids a slight edge towards the AFL but says the janitors will stay with the HUERA. The janitors fear pay losses from a strike if they join the AFL. The maids feel that the possible increased power that an AFL affiliation would give them in their dealings with the University would help them get the higher wages and more rigidly enforced seniority rules that they are now asking. The HUERA is also asking for substantial pay increases.

But John W. Teele '27, Director of Personnel, indicated that the choice the employed make will have no influence on University policy.

Tension

Much tension has arisen from the forth-coming vote. Tempers flared at a meeting at the Hotel Commander last Saturday night at which McGrath spoke.

Voting will take place tomorrow from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Harvard Hall for Cambridge employees and at the Business and Medical schools in Boston.