Only Nineteen in AFROTC '55 Will Get 'Non-Flight'

Talk of cutting next year's Air Science III quota crystallized yesterday afternoon as 96 cadets heard their commanding officer, Colonel Frank Bostrom, tell them only 19 of their number will graduate to the advanced course with non-flight contracts.

Bostrom said he hopes to disclose the names of the 19 before the end of the exam period.

An additional 22 students learned they will be dropped from the program because of unsatisfactory records.

Bostrom announced, however, that there is an unlimited quota for students who pass the flight physical. Fifty-four men in the present Air Science II class, which totals 191 men, have qualified for flight.

The flight contracts specify that "I will . . . make formal written application for flight training leading to an aeronautical rating in the United States Air Force..."

Flight Physical Still Open

Any cadets who have not taken the flight physical may still do so. Poor vision, however, will probably limit the number who try the physical.

For those cadets whose vision is 20-50 or better, but is not 20-20, observer contracts are available at the rate of 15 to every 100 flight contracts. Also, 11 contracts will be available to students majoring in the sciences.

Bostrom said academic standing in the unit will not alone guide his choice of the 19 non-flight cadets. He said he hopes to give a Personal Research Test, of seven hours duration, to the candidates for the 19 contracts.