Bursar Cards Required For Football Admission

Undergraduates who attend varsity football games next fall will present bursar's cards not only to obtain tickets, but also to gain admittance to the Stadium, it was learned yesterday.

According to Frank O. Lunden, H.A.A. ticket office manager, students will line up as before on specified days. Upon presentation of bursar's cards, they will be given a single ticket free, and will be able to purchase another.

"But we want to make sure those free tickets are used by the person to whom they are issued," Lunden said.

He indicated that the tickets would probably be marked or torn at issue, and perhaps matched at a special undergraduate Stadium gate. Men would also be asked to show bursar's cards as they enter Soldiers Field, Lunden said.

Lunden indicated that the plan was not as yet final, but suggested that it would be officially preferred to other measures discussed in the past. These are reported to have included passes, the continued use of ticket books, and special gates for each class.

The H.A.A. has considered such plans since two weeks ago, when it was announced that with next year's rise in tuition, admission to varsity home contests would be free to all undergraduates, although athletic participation tickets would be required.

Primarily, officials of the H.A.A. have tried to make impossible the scalping or unauthorized use of tickets under the new plan. Tickets issued to undergraduates in the past have also carried the warning that they were to be used only by those to whom they were issued.

"Scalping really isn't a worry, except at big games," Lunden said. "With this plan, I think we can insure that any flagrant violations will be caught."

"After all," Lunden said, "every man is going to be entitled to a free ticket anyway, so there won't be too much need to worry about exchange between undergraduates."

With tickets now costless, home game attendance is expected to rise sharply during the next year.