Alumni to Choose 11 Officers Soon By Postal Ballot

Twenty-four alumni were nominated this weekend as candidates for election to 11 positions as Overseers of the University, Directors of the Harvard Alumni Association, and Members of the Harvard Fund Council.

All University degree holders will receive a postal ballot this spring and will select five Overseers, four Directors, and two Councilors. The results will be announced on Commencement Day, June 17.

Nominees for the five positions on the Board of Overseers are George Gund '09 of Cleveland, Ohio, President of the Cleveland Trust Co.; John P. Marquand '14, Newbury, Mass., noted author; Cloyd LaPorte '16, New York City, member of the law firm of Root, Ballantine, Harlan, Bushby, and Palmer; and Henry B. Cabot '17, Trustee.

Also nominated for Overseers' posts are Meyer Kestnbaum '18, Chicago, President of Hart, Schaffner, and Marx; Francis W. Hatch '19, Boston, Vice President and Director of the advertising firm of Batten, Barton, Durstine, and Osborn, Inc.; Abbott L. Mills, Jr. '20, Washington, D.C., Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; J. Edward Lumbard '22, New York City, United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York; Philip H. Theopold '25, Boston, member of the real estate firm of Minot, De Blois, and Maddison; and David Rockefeller '36, New York City, Vice President of the Chase National Bank.

The alumni will elect four Directors of the Alumni Association from eight candidates. Running are Avery R. Schiller '11, Manchester, N.H.; F. Frank Vorenberg '19, of Boston; Francis Kernan '24, New York City; William M. Hickey '28, Bloomington, Ill.; Charles Devens '32, Boston; Thomas W. Bullitt '37, Louisville, Ky.; and John R. Clark '38, Philadelphia.