Airlines Stop Low Traveling Rates For U.S. Students

Low-rates for special student tourist flights across the North Atlantic during the summer have been ended.

Roger Ravel '56, treasurer of the New England Region of the National Student Association, last night predicted that scores of University students would be affected by the ruling of the International Air Transport Association.

These special flights were started early in the summer of 1950 to fly American and European students back and forth across the ocean. Over $200 less than regular tourist services, the flights were designed primarily for students of limited means. According to NSA figures, more that 85 percent of U.S. college students using the special flights could not have gone abroad without the reduced rates.

Special Ship Fees Continue

For the present, at least, special ship voyages across the Atlantic will continue. Several NSA sponsored round-trip voyages to Europe, including room, board, and European travel packages for $800 will continue.

According to Ravel, the IATA decision to terminate special student rates was forced by Pan American World Airways and Trans World Airlines, who claimed that the existence of regular tourist services did away with any need for solely student flights.

Last year more than 2,000 students used the IATA's special plan. Many of these were from the University.

The NSA will attempt to win back the special flight rates from the air lines before next spring, basing its arguments on claims of "fostering international understanding and friendship."