Student Council Eases Restrictions On Combined Charities Campaign

The Combined Charities Drive will no longer be bound by a 1952 Student Council rule limiting solicitation to charities which use less than ten percent of their income for overhead expenses.

Drive co-directors Edward M. Strasser '56 and David M. Dorsen '57 last night announced that Clifford L. Alexander '55, Student Council president, has approved a change in the 1952 regulations in order to permit exceptions for charities which "can not avoid going over the limit."

Salzburg Seminar and the National Scholarship Service and Fund for Negro Students, both on the solicitation list this year, are spending over ten percent for campaign expenses. Last year the Negro student fund spent approximately 60 percent for overhead, while Salzburg Seminar used about half of its income for operating expenditures.

Under the new ruling, the directors of the drive will be required to state in their annual report to the Student Council president why they recommend that certain charities be excepted from the rule.

In explaining the request for exemptions, strasser emphasized that it is difficult for an organization with a budget of less than one-half million dollars to limit its expenses to ten percent of its income.

The original limitation was made in order to direct student donations to "smaller drives which are perhaps more of service or interest to students rather than to the larger well-known charities which have funds to solicit independently," he said.