Advance Standing System Criticized By 5 Headmasters

Five headmasters of Eastern preparatory and high schools expressed opposition yesterday to that section of the College's proposed system, of Advanced Standing which may allow eleventh-graders to enter the freshman class.

These men said, however, that they would probably favor the remainder of the plan and recommend some of their exceptional students to skip the freshman year at college.

One lone headmaster, Lawrence Terry '22 of Middlesex School, a University Overseer, said he could not find any real use for the proposed plan and that he "can hardly believe the College is seriously considering it."

"I'm in favor of advanced credits," Terry said, "but no boy should skip his freshman year. He may be scholastically capable, but the social and emotional problem is the big difference."

The other men who asserted eleventh-graders should not be allowed to enter college included Frederick R. Weed '28 of Roxbury Latin School, Robert G. Andree of Brookline High School, Eliot T. Putnam '30 of Noble and Greenough School, and George L. McKim of Boston Latin School.

These headmasters felt that a boy just begins to gain positions of responsibility and leadership in his senior year and that it would not be fair either to him or to the school involved to allow him to miss this maturing process.

Three Approve

William G. Saltonstall '28 of Phillips Exeter Academy, praising the system, said his school had already sent students to colleges with advanced standing. He admitted, however, that prep school seniors might miss too much by skipping life in the Yard dormitories.

Two other men, William W. Barber of St. Mark's School and John M. Kemper of Phillips Andover Academy, said that although they didn't think many boys would want to miss their senior year in school the opportunity to obtain such an advanced standing should be made available to them