Key, Team Managers Plan Revision in Reception Duties

By Steven C. Swett

Complaints from sports managers and athletic officials have prompted the Crimson Key to revise its reception committee for visiting teams, it was learned last night.

Conferences are currently being arranged with the newly-formed Managers' Council in response to criticism that the Key has failed on a number of occasions to provide adequately for traveling squads.

D. Terry Coles '54, past president of the Key, indicated last night that a more equitable arrangement between managers and the Key representatives would be drawn up. These plans follow upon remarks by athletic officials and managers that the Key was falling down on its job as undergraduate host.

Coles agreed last night that on a number of occasions his group had slipped in meeting teams. "We've missed a couple of times. I guess one of our fellows just slipped up," he said. "But we've met hundreds of teams and up to this fall we've never missed one," he continued.

Rough on H.A.A.

Under the present reception set-up, the Key assigns one member of its Athletic Committee to each varsity team in season. His job is to meet a visiting squad, provide for its welfare, and cooperate with the team's manager wherever possible.

Coles pointed out that when the Key did not fulfill these duties, friction inevitably arose between the H.A.A., the managers, and the visiting players. "We assume these responsibilities, and when we don't carry them out, its rough on the H.A.A., the teams and their managers," he said.

The new arrangement between the Key and Managers' Council will probably provide for weekly conferences between manager and Key man to straighten out details of a team's visit to Cambridge. It is currently the job of the Key representative to send out forms to traveling squads and plan their stay so that details are kept to a minimum.