Eight on Yale Faculty Anonymously Attack Eli Promotion Policies

Eight anonymous members of the Yale University faculty complained Tuesday that a majority of Yale instructors have little chance of being promoted or gaining permanent tenure in the next 20 years.

The faculty members made their attack on the university's promotion policy in a statement to the Yale Daily News. They asserted that the Yale administration so overloaded its staff with young professors in the post-war years that only a very few associate or full professorships would be open in the foreseeable future.

They claimed that, consequently, the administration often goes under false pretenses when it encourages work from members of its teaching staff.

One of the eight, an anthropologist, declared that the university's standards for promotion are unclear. "In the past, as many full professors as were considered worthy were appointed," he stated. "Because of the financial problems created by overcrowding, this can no longer be the case . . . now I don't know what the case is."