Net Squad Makes Southern Swing; To Face N. Carolina, Virginia, Navy

Decidedly short on practice and purportedly long on ability, the varsity tennis team will begin a five-match march through the South Sunday, Coach Jack Barnaby's squad, which has been working out in the I.A.B. for a month and which has been able to get in only a few sets outdoors on tar courts, will face opposition which has been outside for weeks.

As last season when it won four of six during spring vacation, the Crimson will open with an informal match against the Country Club of Virginia at Richmond Sunday. Last year, the varsity won, 8 to 1, over the Country Club.

The Crimson will run into far stiffer competition, however, the next two days, April 5 and 6, when it meets perennially powerful North Carolina. The Carolinians handed Barnaby three of his four defeats in the 1953 season. Speaking about North Carolina's first five last year, the Crimson coach said, "Each could play number one on almost any other team."

Navy and Virginia Matches

Matches with Navy and the University of Virginia April 8 and 9 complete the trip. The contest with the Middies will open the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League season. The varsity finished second to Princeton last spring.

Barnaby's roster is paced by last year's top varsity player, Captain John Rauh, and the number one man on the strong '56 freshman team, Ham Graven. Another sophomore, Brooks Harris, is also high on the ladder. Behind them are the fourth, fifth, and sixth men on the 1953 varsity--Alex Haegler, Gene Mann, and Don Bossart.

Other lettermen making the trip include Donn Spencer, Herbie Stone, Terry King, and Frank Goodman. Two more sophomores, Conrad Fischer and Maynard Canfield, are also on the traveling roster as is junior Doug Manchester. Manchester, high point man on this winter's hockey team, is out for tennis after a late start.