Radcliffe Girls Claim Rule on Short Shorts Not Really Practical

Radcliffe opinion is generally against a ban on short shorts in this year's sunbathing rules, although 'Cliffedwellers endorse the other rules as necessary for an urban college.

It is felt that, since girls wear short shorts for tennis and gym, it is inconsistent to prohibit them on the dormitory quad. "It is silly to ask girls to wear coats over their shorts when they are going to and from the tennis courts," Lauren R. Brown '57 commented.

Bermuda-length shorts are now required for sunbathing on the quad. Some girls felt that this rule is impractical since Bermuda shorts are often worn rolled up. "I can't imagine what they did before they had Bermuda shorts," Janet C. Cohen '55 said.

Problem of "Discretion"

The problem is considered to be one of discretion. "Girls ought to use discretion, depending on how nice their legs are when they wear shorts," one girl stated.

However, it was generally agreed that halters and bathing suits are not appropriate for wear on College grounds. "The rule is sensible, considering that we are in the middle of the city," Margaret J. Rabi '56 said.

The sunbathing rules drawn up by the Board of Hall Presidents are the same as last year's rules.