Crimson Mile Relay Team Wins Kelly Trophy in Meet

The varsity one-mile relay team kept its relay lead Saturday night to defeat Princeton and Yale at the 29th annual Knights of Columbus Track Meet at Boston Garden. The 3:23.4 Crimson time was good enough to win the Daniel J. Kelly Memorial Trophy for the fastest mile run by a Bay State relay team.

Capt. Bob Rittenburg, who had previously reached the finals of the 45 yard high hurdles along with Joel Cohen, led off for the Crimson and handed the baton to Dave Alpers with a three-yard lead. Unofficially running the fastest quarter of 49.6, Alpers increased the lead to seven yards.

Renny Little kept this lead and anchorman Dick Wharton outlasted Princeton's captain and heptagonal champion Joe Meyers to win by five yards. Little was second in the Eddie Farrell 500, trailing Tufts' Steve Wilkey, winner for the second straight year, throughout the race.

Rittenburg and Cohen were the only two collegians who reached the hurdles final in a race won by Harrison Dillard, a last-minute entrant.

The varsity two-mile and the freshman mile relay teams both lost. Neither team was ever in serious contention. Sophomores Mike Robertson, Zab Warren and Jim Cairns joined Al Wills in the two-mile race.