Sextet Defeats Dartmouth For First Ivy League Win

The varsity hockey team, starting with a goal at 0:18 of the first period, completely mastered a cellar-dwelling Dartmouth sextet at Hanover last Saturday to gain its first Ivy League victory, 8 to 4.

Center Bill Cleary, despite being shadowed throughout the game in a special Dartmouth defensive move, led the Crimson's offensive attack, scoring one goal unassisted and setting up three others.

The Green's downfall came at its blue line as varsity skaters continually slid past the Indian defense and constantly peppered the brilliant Dartmouth goalie, Gorden Russell. Russell made a total of 35 saves during the game against only 20 for the Crimson's goalie, Charlie Flynn.

The varsity followed up Terry O'Malley's opening goal with a score by Joe Crehore from Cleary and O'Malley and a sale tally by defenseman Ned Almy.

Coach Cooney Weiland continued to alternate Doug Manchester between the first line and defense and used Crehore to replace him with Cleary and O'Malley. This combinated accounted for three of the varsity goals as Manchester netted the sixth Crimson tally at 14:01 of the second stanza, slamming the puck past a pile-up in front of the Indian goal.

Crehore Gets Two Assists

Crehore, also playing with third linemen Tom Worthen and Derek Nicholas, and with the second line in place of center Frank Mahoney, assisted in two of the other Crimson goals.

Worthen scored the first of these at 8:45 of the second period, and Ned Bliss accounted for the other in the first minute of the final stanza.

The sextet's next match will come after exams when it enters the annual Beanpot Tourney with Boston University, Boston College, and Northeastern, on Feb 7-8.

The Yardling's next game will be with Exeter on Feb. 9.