U.T. Manager Plans To Accept 'Square' Coupons This Month

Harvard Square Book coupons will be accepted at the University Theatre weekdays until February 1. Stanley Sumner, U.T. manager announced recently.

Previously Sumner had refused to accept the coupons, which entitle the bearer to two theatre admissions for the price of one. At that time he said an agreement that the coupon books would be sold for only one day and only to Harvard students had not been kept, and therefore he was not legally bound to accept the coupons.

Sumner reversed his decision following a conference with Serge Routourline, Jr. '54, who was in charge of the Square Book enterprise. A joint statement of the two said that the misunderstanding occurred because of the inability of Bontourline to control the activities of one of his salesmen.

"Apparently one of my salesmen sold the Books to shoeshine boys and others who are not Harvard students despite my instructions," Bontourline said. He said the fact was that he had no way to control his salesmen after he instructed them when and to whom the coupons were to be sold.

Summer said that the Theatre would accept the coupons until February 1 "because all the people who bought them apparently did so in good faith.