AFCA Favors Grid Practice In Off-Season

Harvard, Yale Coaches Say No Change for Ivy Group

The American Football Coaches Association yesterday took a strong stand in favor of spring practice, but Lloyd Jordan and Jordan Olivar, coaches at Harvard and Yale, are agreed that this development will not lead to a revival of off-season practice within the Ivy Group.

"Be it resolved that spring football practice, properly supervised, is an essential and wholesome part of the intercollegiate football program," says the resolution adopted by the A.F.C.A. at its New York convention.

Three Coaches Disagree

Out of 500 coaches present at yesterday's meeting, only three raised their hands against the resolution, according to Biggie Munn, Michigan State athletic director and chairman of the coaches' committee. Munn said that the recommendation will be presented tomorrow to the National Collegiate Athletic Association convention.

Jordan said last night, however, that the coaches' opinion will not directly affect Ivy Group policy, which is determined by the athletic directors of the eight Ivy colleges. "I have always been an advocate of spring practice, but I don't represent Harvard in matters of policy," he said.

Jordan added that he himself was not present when the A.F.C.A. approved its resolution yesterday, but was attending an N.C.A.A. meeting instead.

Yale Coach Olivar agreed that yesterday's resolution will not bring a return of spring practice in the Ivy League. Furthermore, the near-unanimous show of hands in favor of the proposal does not mean that most Ivy coaches was spring practice, Olivar stated.

"Some of us did not even vote on the question because we know that it meant nothing for the Ivy League," he explained. Olivar went on to explain that not all of the coaches had even expressed an opinion on the issue.

The A.F.C.A. will present its resolutions to the N.C.A.A. in New York next week