Hodnett Paces Crimson In 3-1 Win at Amherst

By Adam Clymer, Special to the CRIMSON

AMHERST, October 18--A hustling Crimson defense thoroughly rattled the dangerous Amherst attack and fully complemented a forward line which displayed better coordination than at any time this season, as the soccer team topped the Lord Jeffs, 3 to 1, this afternoon.

As against Tufts and Cornell, likewise held to a single goal, the defensive play was outstanding. To describe individual play necessarily draws attention away from the fact that today's was a team effort, but it would be unjust to pass over the speed and force of tackling that Don Beaver showed or the consistency with which Hugh Sargent was able to get his foot on the ball and the ball away from the goal area.

John Hadik, at right halfback, anticipated excellently and frequently covered the fullback spot that Sargent or Beaver had to vacate to block a scoring thrust. Denny Little, left half, tackled with his accustomed pugnacity, and Stacey Holmes could be depended on to clear the ball from in front of the goal.

Elliot Finkelstein, replacing the injured Lindsay Fischer in goal, played well up to Fischer's standard. Although he was not called upon to make any spectacular plays, his steadiness and speed prevented Amherst from scoring from scrimmage. They only Jeff goal came on a penalty shot.

Perhaps the six days that had elapsed since the last game gave the Crimson the added energy, and more hustle and endurance were obvious, particularly in the line. Ken McIntosh, at outside right, often got past the Jeff halfback and drew the fullback toward him before centering; Grey Hodnett scored on such a play at 9:10 of the first period, for the opening goal.

A penalty shot by Amherst's Pete Fernald evened the score at 3:12 of the thrid period, after a scoreless second quarter. The shot followed a foul by Little.

Bill Lingelbach, at inside right, put the Crimson ahead to stay when he booted in a curving direct kick from outside left Hank Holmes at 12:30 of the third period. Hodnett added the clincher, his sixth of the season, at 19:15 of the fourth quarter.