Soccer Squad Tops Ephs, Rallying to Gain 2-1 Victory

Grey Hodnett and Shad Tubman scored in the last nine minutes of play as the Crimson soccer team rallied for a 2-1 victory over Williams at the Business School Field. The win was the team's sixth in eight starts.

Hodnett's winning tally, his ninth marker of the season, was scored on as pretty a play as the Crimson has put together all season. Tubman, playing center forward, dribbled the ball upfield until he was about 25 yards away from the nets, and then skidded a pass to Hank Holmes, moving in from outside left. Holmes advanced until nearly at the end line, then passed to Hodnett in front of the cage, and Hodnett converted for the clincher at 20:10.

Tubman had scored the tying goal at 13:37, heading in an indirect kick by Tony Oberschall.

The Crimson was forced to rally when Williams became its sixth opponent to score first. Dave Cunningham of the Ephmen opened the scoring when he booted home a pass from Tom Lincoin at 14:50 of the second period.

This Williams goal came on a fast break after the Crimson had maintained a rather steady attack through most of the first half. A slight let-down followed the marker, but generally yesterday's game provided a sharp contrast to the contests against M.I.T. and Penn last week.

As is customary, the defense was alert and aggressive, with goalie Elliot Finkelstein playing his finest game of the year in goal. Early in the first period he made an exceptional save, moving some distance from the nets to cut down the shooting angle, and he made several more good ones as the game progressed.

Finkelstein Alert

Generally, the team's passing has never been better than it was yesterday. The rally that set up Hodnett was only one of many fine passing combinations that the makeshift line displayed. Once again, the eleven failed to capitalize on many chances to score, but the performance was good, especially considering the number of injuries the team has suffered.

The varsity's next game will be Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. with Princeton as the opposition.