Outbreak of Intestinal Trouble Hits Students Fed From Central Kitchen

Sanitary engineers will begin "some sort of an investigation" today to determine the cause of a minor epidemic of intestinal disturbance, Dr. John C. Wells, Jr., Assistant Physician at the Hygiene Department, revealed yesterday.

Over 20 students reported to the Department with complaints of "cramps and intestinal disorders" yesterday, Wells said. Most of the students were from Lowell House, but a spot check of residents in the other four Houses served by the control kitchen showed that a great number had suffered from the same symptoms.

Many thought the stomach disorder was due to the creamed chicken prepared by the central kitchen for dinner Tuesday night.

Dr. Wells termed the ailment "a minor outbreak of a non-specific type of gastroenteritis, presumably the result of something the students ate. No one's very sick," he added.

The engineers will first try to determine which Houses served the food which may have caused the epidemic. They ask all students who had symptoms of intestinal problems to report to the Hygiene Department in order to aid them in the investigation.