Group to Aid Furry Invites Student Gifts

The Furry Legal Aid Committee will henceforth welcome contributions from University students, Edwin C. Kemble, professor of Physics and chairman of its fund-raising drive, announced last night.

"Although we have not made any direct appeal to the student body," Kemble said, "we will be happy to get donations from students in the University. The committee has received a few already."

Kemble also said he wished to correct any impression that since students here had not been directly asked to contribute, their gifts would not be welcome. He had avoided a student appeal, he added, because the committee felt that the job of raising money to defend Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics, was primarily a faculty concern and that the drive should not receive too much publicity.

200 Contributions

In the four weeks since the original letter of appeal was sent to nearly 3000 persons holding Corporation appointments, some 200 have contributed less than half the money that the committee estimated would be needed, Kemble said.

Since then, Kemble added, "Our estimates of the cost have tended to go up as the preparation of the case proceeds. It may be much more arduous than we expected." The money raised so far, he said, may turn out to be only a third of the total cost.

Increase In Kamin Funds

Contributions for the defense of Leon J. Kamin '49 have been coming in steadily, Richard L. Solomon, associate professor of Social Psychology, said yesterday. "We have no accurate idea of how much money, in all has been raised for Kamin, however," Solomon added.