Varsity Six Plays Princeton Today In Battle Over Ivy League Lead

For the past three years, when the varsity hockey team faced Princeton, it was sure of one thing: goalie Blair Torrey would stop all but the best of shots. There will be no Torrey in the nets at the Hobey Baker rink this afternoon, and the Crimson should have little trouble beating the Tigers in this first of two meetings.

Princeton sits at the top of the Ivy League this morning with three wins and one defeat. The varsity, going into the game with a 2-0-1 League record, can jump into first place with a victory this afternoon.

The Tigers shut out Yale, 2 to 0, last Saturday without the services of star forward George Scragg will probably see action today. Princeton has also beaten Dartmouth and split two games with Brown. Goalie Bill Van Alstyne has apparently improved over his latest performance against the Bruins, when he pulled eight pucks out of the net.

Since Scragg's injury the first Tiger line has been composed of Captain George Hackl, Charlie Hauser, and "Pogie" Pratt.

Crimson Coach Cooney Weiland is expected to use the same combination that have scored a staggering 23 goals in the last two games, against Dartmouth and Boston University.

Meanwhile, the Yardlings face the Princeton freshman at 2 p.m. on the Watson rink. The Tigers have a 7-2 record, which includes a loss to St. Paul's compared to the Crimson's 15-0 slate.