Varsity Sextet Ends Regular Season on Yale Rink Today

Cleary Seeks Scoring Mark

By Charles Steedman

As concerns Ivy championships or Colorado invitations, tonight's varsity hockey game with Yale at New Haven Arena will prove absolutely nothing. At best, the hapless Elis can salvage a fourth-place in the Ivy League.

From the Crimson point of view, however, center Bill Cleary may choose tonight to break the NCAA scoring record of 85 points; he is five below the mark this morning. The contest is also significant as the last performance on Eastern ice for five regulars, Captain Scott Cooledge, Ned Almy, Ned Bliss, Frank Mahoney, and Doug Manchester.

If Cleary passes the NCAA scoring mark tonight, he has slim chance of tying the Ivy League record of 40 points, set in 1941-42 by Dick Rondeau of Dartmouth. He leads the league at present with 33 points in seven games.

From the Eli point of view, the possibility of sending a humiliated Crimson out to the Colorado championship tourney is inviting indeed. At any rate, with Yale playing before the usual highly-partisan crowd, a repeat of last Saturday's rout is hardly likely.

Yale goalie George Scherer, who had allowed less than four goals per game until Saturday, will once again attempt to hold the best offense in the East within reasonable bounds. A good night for Scherer could mean a good game in the Harvard-Yale tradition, but to bring about an upset, his defense will have to tighten up considerably over their first performance.

Eli coach Murray Murdoch realized his problem last week, when he said before the game, "We're strong defensively, but it's difficult to try to cope with such speed as Harvard has this year."

Despite coach Cooney Weiland's statement that "the boys won't start thinking 'tournament' until after that Yale game," too many thoughts of Colorado could be dangerous when a bulldog bent solely on revenge has yet to be beaten.

Practice With Bruins

In preparation for next week's Colorado tourney, the Crimson has scheduled a practice session with the Boston Bruins at the Waston Rink Monday afternoon. Captain Coolege said last night that the team "hopes to make amends for last year's unsuccessful Wester tour and to re-establish the prestige of Eastern hockey."

Coach John White's once-beaten Yardling sextet will be seeking unofficial dominance among the Ivy teams when they meet the Yale freshmen at 3 p.m. in New Haven. His two revised first lines will be playing their second game as units in what will be their last game this season.