One Down...

The march was long and the marchers many. First came the viruses, then the rats, monkeys, the test tube cultures, and finally the pure strain from Brunhilde the chimpanzee. Brunhilde's type of infantile paralysis marched along with Lansing's and Leon's. The Mahoney virus replaced Brunhilde's and the trio of Mahoney, Lansing, and Leon, or simply Types One, Two, and Three grew in kidney tissure cultures, died in formaldehyde baths, and entered blood streams as the Salk polio vaccine.

Dr. Salk and his colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh have earned the right to lead the parade, which started to move when the Harvard trio of Enders, Weller, and Robbins found a non-nervous tissue in which the viruses could grow. But the other marchers at universities, foundations, hospitals and laboratories throughout the world have also merited a place in the ranks. They, along with the people who donated "dimes and dollars," have accomplished a miracle with ten million dollars--the price of ten jet planes.