Marching Dimes

Microbes could be happy if biologists thrived on publicity alone. For scientists can exterminate diseases only through tedious refinements, long after public attention has turned form such striking discoveries as the Salk vaccine. Although the vaccine still leaves 15-20 percent unprotected, the public is already beginning to think of polio as a "disease of the past."

Yet if public attention is fickle, it is by no means frivolous. The March of Dimes collected millions, carrying polio research through the most expensive part of its job. Dr. Salk, of course, feels that he must continue research to perfect his vaccine. If the U.S. Public Health Service supports his work, as it certainly should, then the March of Dimes organization should mobilize to conquer some other dread disease.

Drama is the forte of the March of Dimes. While the organization can hardly expect to dramatize the slow and careful final work on Salk vaccine, it can easily bring the tragedy of leukemia, rheumatic fever, or some other disease to the hearts of the people. Responding in this appeal in their generous and sympathetic manner, Americans can help the March of Dimes conquer another health menace.