Council Proposes Increased Fine For Non-Registered Student Cars

The Student Council voted last night to recommend to the administration the equalization of University and Cambridge parking fines, and an increase in the penalty for not registering automobiles with the University police.

The action was taken as a result of the findings of a report on student parking, which was made with the knowledge that the University would be financially unable to increase its parking facilities.

In approving the report, the Council also recommended that the administration continue its policy of considering the student a member of the Cambridge community, and giving him no special automobile restrictions.

Correspondingly, the group also hoped that the city of Cambridge would treat University students "with the same equality before the law as townspeople."

Because of student uncertainty concerning the number of violations leading to probation, the Council voted that the administration "make a definite statement of the number and types of offences which could lead to this action."

The Council also advised continuing equal disciplinary measures for graduate and undergraduate parking offenders, and the maintenance of the first-come, first-served method of assigning University parking space.