Elis Defeat Lacrosse Team, 17-4; '58 Downs Strong Bulldog Squad

Eli lacrosse coach WILLIAM HARKNESS gives his team a pep-talk at half-time.

For the first quarter and for half of the second in Saturday's lacrosse game, it looked as if the Crimson might pull one of the biggest upsets of the year over a powerful Yale team. The Blue, however, capitalized on a 5-3 lead at half-time by scoring 12 goals in the second half to win, 17 to 4.

The varsity played its best ball of the season in the opening 250 minutes of the game. Leo Daley, Gibson Gerry, and Fred Sharf on defense and John Ogden in the goal held off Yale's attackers again and again. Crimson attackmen were even able to crack the Eli defense, strongest segment of the squad.

Jim Menton, Yale attackman, opened the scoring at 10:42 of the first period. Maclay Hyde of the varsity's midfield retaliated by sinking the ball at 12:10, only to be followed shortly by a second Yale tally. After two rapid points scored by the Crimson in the next quarter, the Elis were trailing 3 to 2. But then the varsity defense began to crumble. Yale tallied three easy goals before ending the first half.

In the third quarter Yale tallied five, with almost no Crimson opposition. The Eli defense kept the varsity attack outside the crease area surrounding the goal, and the Crimson could only fire ineffective long shots. Dexter Lewis scored early in the final quarter for the last Crimson goal.

The freshmen defeated a highly rated Yale squad Saturday, 10 to 4. Gardner Mallonnee was high scorer, with three goals.