852 Students Surveyed in Parking Poll

95 Per Cent Reply In Successful Study

By James W. B. benkard

The University's postcard survey on parking came to a successful conclusion yesterday, Dean Leighton announced, as over 95 per cent of those polled answered that they had procured "off the street" facilities. The survey included 852 students who had registered automobiles with the University police but had not signed up for a place in the Graduate School lot.

Leighton said that the cases of the remaining five per cent "would be taken up by the administration." Of this group, 41 have not sent in replies to either of the two questionnaires sent them, while the remaining 11 responded that they had been unable to obtain any space as yet.

Out of the 852 polled, 496 said that they had been able to obtain a parking space in either a garage or a lot somewhere in Cambridge or Harvard Square. "Of course, we can't be absolutely sure as to the validity of this report," Leighton said, "but I go on the philosophy that people generally tell the truth."

The remaining 258 students polled fall into three groups: those who no longer have a car, students who have registered their cars but who live near enough to the College to leave their cars at home, and those who keep their automobiles somewhere outside Cambridge.

Forty-six others of those who were polled reported that they were able to find a space in some other University lot besides the Graduate School facility. This lot can accommodate up to 350 undergraduate cars, and as there are some 1140 cars registered by College students, the Administration felt it was necessary to find the whereabouts of these automobiles.