'Cliffe Announces Plan For $10 Million Drive

Ten-Year Development Program Will Include Health Center, Theatre, Additional Dorms

By Martha E. Miller

Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe, yesterday announced a ten million dollar development plan for the college, covering a ten-year period.

Like the University's three-year fund-raising drive for 75 to 100 million dollars, Radcliffe's longer-range program will attempt to meet scholarship, building and endowment needs.

Earlier this fall, Jordan set the ten million dollar figure as the amount necessary to provide adequately for the college's present enrollment before expansion could be considered.

Nearly two million of the total has already been received or pledged. Of this, one million dollars is earmarked for the construction of an undergraduate dormitory, which will begin in spring.

The program, as outlined by Joseph T. Walker, Jr. of New York City, Chairman of the Radcliffe Development Fund, includes $2,400,000 for restricted endowments, $3,750,000 for unrestricted endowments and $3,850,000 for buildings.

Health Center Planned

A portion of the buildings allocation will help pay for the projected Harvard-Radcliffe health center and a Harvard-Radcliffe theater. The Annex's share in the health center will be about 10 percent of the total cost, according to the development program report.

The health center and the completion of the refectory and residence wings of the Radcliffe Graduate Center have priority over other building needs, Walker indicated. Funds have been partially raised for the graduate buildings, and a concerted effort is being made to complete this financing by June, 1957.

New Dorms Needed

Included in the long-term program are three co-operative houses to replace the wooden structures now in use, and another undergraduate dormitory for 120 students. The addition of these units will complete the foreseeable resident requirements of the college.

Jordan emphasized that the development and expansion of the college's capital funds is a most important part of the plan. "These funds," he said, "represent the life blood of the privately endowed college."