Council Passes Ike Club, Post-Season Charity Play

Approval Supports Other Ivy Colleges

The Student Council last night joined two of its Ivy counterparts and urged that Ivy League football players be permitted to play in certain post-season all-star games.

By a one-side margin, the Council voted to echo the sentiments of the groups at Cornell and Brown and asked that Leagce athletes be allowed to take part in the East-West and North-South football games. The motion originated at Cornell, and its Council sent copies of the resolution to Councils at other Ivy schools, asking them to concur.

The Council emphasized the charitable aspects of the games in question, and Lawrence H. Johnson '57 asserted that the motion represented a "tremendous service to Harvard and charity." Only two dissenting votes were cast.

Yale's Undergraduate Activities Council has tabled the motion and appointed a committee to investigate the question.

It was reported last night in Ithaca that Dean Malott, president of Cornell, would bring the subject up at the next meeting of the Ivy group presidents.

Under present Ivy rules, players are barred from post-season play except in NCAA, AAU, Olympic, Oxford-Cambridge vs. Harvard-Yale or similar games.