State Commission Clamps Down on Minors' Drinking

Cronin's, Casablanca Warned

By Philip M. Boffey

Students at the University faced the driest, spring in recent years as a result of yesterday's crackdown on underage drinking by the Cambridge Licensing Board and the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission of Massachusetts.

After hearing charges by the ABC against Cronin's and the Club Casablanca yesterday morning, the Licensing Board warned the two establishments that they would be dealt with severely if found guilty of further violations. Possible penalties, would include suspension or revocation of the state liquor license.

The warning culminated a ten-day "blitz" on the Harvard Square area which started a week ago Friday. On that day, the ABCC visited several bars to check on alleged violations. In each case the technique was the same: a man in street clothes would approach a young-looking drinker, show his credentials, and demand proof of age. If the drinker turned out to be under age, the violation and warn him against future violations.

But whatever the causes, the results were immediately obvious. "It has aldays been out policy to discourage minors," Cyrus I. Harvey, Jr. '47, co-manager of the Club Casablanca, said. "We've been tough before, but believe me, it's going to be murder around here from now on. Everyone will have to show an ID."

At Jim's Place, the new order took the form of a mimeographed warning taped to the wall at each booth. It reads: "In order to facilitate serving please have your identification cards ready for the waitress to see. If you are under 21 do not attempt to order alcoholic drinks, as you will not be served."

Since the management is responsible for serving a minor even if he has a false ID, Cronin's is checking the description on selective service registration cards with the appearance of the bearer.