Council Body Asks Sign-Off From 7 Meals

Committee Suggests 4 Dining Remedies

By Richard T. Cooper

Four recommendations designed to increase consumption and efficiency in College Dining Halls have been formulated by the Student Council's Committee to Investigate Food. The four-point plan will be brought up for final Council approval next week.

Heading the list will be a request for return to the 14-meals per week sign-on contract to replace the existing compulsory 21 meal contract. Proposed in the past, the 14-meal sign-on has been repeatedly rejected by Dining Hall officials.

Authorities contend that the 14-meal system would increase board costs for a majority of students, with only small savings for a minority, due to increased bookkeeping expenses.

The second proposal calls for the elimination of "substitute" items from daily menus, concentrating more effort and money on the main course, thereby eliminating waste. "They might not have as much surplus grease to sell," declared Theodore O. Moskowitz '58, Committee Chairman, "but they will cater less to finicky students."

Qualifications for Chefs

Thirdly, Moskowitz asked formulation of a definite criteria for hiring chefs and chefs' helpers. At present, he said, "no previous experience is necessary and the only criterion seems to be freedom from moral corruption."

Finally, the Committee will request that the annual Dining Hall profit, which last year amounted to about $10,000, be ploughed back into purchasing better cuts of meat. "There is no doubt," Moskowitz asserted, "that the best cuts of meat are not now purchased."