An Early Meeting

The following is a description of one of the first meetings of the Club, held at Delmonico's on February 22, 1866. It appeared in the New York Post the next day:

"The Vice-President, F.A. Lane, who gave the reception, welcomed the company, and committed the chair to Dr. Osgood, the President of the Club, who made the opening address and called out the several speeches with appropriate sentiments.

"President Hill, Dr. Jared Sparks, William M. Evarts (who represented Yale College), George Bancroft, Dr. Bellows, Dr. Willard Parker, Joseph H. Choate, J.L. Sibley (Librarian of Cambridge), Rev. E.E. Hale, and Young Lawrence (hero of Fort Fisher), made speeches of great interest and variety, and an original poem by Dr. O.W. Holmes was read.

"Fine music from a choice band, with old college songs from the Glee Club of Harvard Men, gave zest to the proceedings, at intervals, and the whole company at the close joined in Auld Lang Syne with clasped hands and right good will.

"A large and generous spirit prevailed. The Harvard enthusiasm did not degenerate into exclusive pride or self-admiration."