Varsity Ruggers Beat M.I.T., 6-0, In Season's Opener; J.V.'s Lose

The Crimson rugby team emerged muddy but unbowed from its first match of the season last Saturday, beating M.I.T., 6 to 0, for its first fall win in three years.

On the credit side of the balance were good teamwork on a day that made spectacular playing difficult, and much improved tackling. On the debit was an injury to South African graduate student Derek Henderson that will put him out for the rest of the season with a displaced cartilege and ripped ligaments.

The Crimson started to threaten the Engineer's line immediately after talking the opening kick-off, and after ten minutes, with the side already reduced to 14 men by Henderson's injury, a fine three-quarter movement ended with right wing Langi Kavaliku taking a pass from Jim Damis to score in the corner. The difficult conversion, taken from opposite the scoring spot, missed. (3-0).

Shortly before half time the Crimson added its other three points, when captain Alan Waddell put over a 25-yard penalty kick given for an M.I.T. offsides.

Play was more even in the second half, both sides coming very close to scoring. The Crimson saved a try when it forced an M.I.T. runner out of bounds in its end zone (the ball must be touched down to count), and were unluckly in turn when Charlie Eaton and then Jim Coper and Ash Hallett nearly dribbled the ball over the Engineer's line.