Lowell Wins at Football; Kirkland Gains Victory

The Lowell House football team came from behind on a touchdown late in the fourth quarter, to win, 7 to 6.

With the score tied at 6-all after the touchdown, the decisive point-after kick struck the crossbar and fell over for the winning point and Lowell's first victory of the season.

The touchdown came in the last five minutes of play, when Lowell quarter back Dave Gessner spotted a defensive shift in the Eliot secondary, and called a quarterback sneak that netted 10 yards and a touchdown.

The Eliot offense was more effective than the score indicated, however, as three Elephant touchdowns were nullified by penalties.

Meanwhile, in the Kirkland-Winthrop game, an early touchdown provided the spark that carried Kirkland to a 12-0 victory over the Puritans. On the first play from scrimmage, Kirkland quarterback Dick Nye faded back and fired a spectacular 65-yard touchdown pass to Duane Hooker. Later in the first half, Hooker clinched the game for Kirkland as he tallied his second touchdown of the day, this time on an end run.