Ike Describes Science Program; Parley Bid Gets Cool Reception; Russia Reveals No New Missile

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov. 7--President Eisenhower went on the air last night to reassure Americans about U.S. scientific progress. In a half-hour broadcast, the President announced:

1. He has ordered Secretary of Defense McElroy to make certain that the Pentagon's guided missile director "is clothed with all the authority that the secretary himself possesses in this field, so that no administrative or inter-service block can occur."

2. Any new program involving missiles will, whenever possible, "be put under a single manager and administered without regard to the separate services."

3. Congress will be asked to remove legal barriers to "the exchange of appropriate technological information with friendly countries."

During the day Eisenhower held his largest-ever meeting of the National Security Council, calling in a total of 45 advisers from military, diplomatic, scientific and mobilization fields.

Dulles Calls Plan Vague

WASHINGTON, Nov. 7--The United States showed little interest today in Soviet Communist party chief Khrushchev's newest bid for a high-level East-West conference to settle cold war problems.

State Department reaction took two forms:

1. Secretary Dulles said existing international agreements "are adequate" to out-law war--a goal which Khrushchev professes to seek.

2. A formal reply by a department spokesman said such international conferences should be avoided until there are "reasonable grounds for expecting they would bring beneficial results."

The spokesman made clear he did not believe such favorable conditions existed now.

New Guns Puzzle Observers

MOSCOW, Nov. 7--The Soviet Union paraded a mighty array of new tactical rockets and guns at its 40th birthday celebration today without unveiling any of the major surprises the world had been led to expect.

The big puzzlers for Western military men in the massive march in Red Square were two huge guns of strange design. Moscow radio talked of "a new type of artillery based on the principle of jet propulsion," but there was no explanation.