Thesismanship

HOW TO WRITE A GOVERNMENT THESIS, by Stanley Hoffman, Department of Government, 3 pp., free.

By Adam Clymer

This rippling approach to the writing of Gov theses should provide amusement and not a few useful suggestions. Hoffman's work (though it does not seem to be written in what we thought to be his style) recognizes that this is the "time when the final draft of Senior theses moves from potential to actuality," and thus he is here with helpful hints.

His treatise is divided into three sections: Some reminders on substance, Formal aspects of the thesis, and Some other mechanical points. Skip the last if you're rushed. The first, while brief, makes two very important points. It begins, "A thesis should have a beginning, a middle, and an end." This seems reasonable enough, but Hoffman then suggests that it really need not have a middle when he says, "A reader should be able to read the opening and concluding portions of the thesis and at once have a clear idea of what the author is talking about and of what he thinks he has demonstrated." Perhaps all one has to do is stuff the middle of his thesis binder with old Gen Ed papers.

After this matter has been settled, Hoffman's discussion turns to Formal Aspects, the first being literary. He says, "While a thesis need not be the work of beauty with rolling periods in the Churchillian style, it must conform to certain accepted grammatical usages." He explains that "there should be sentences," and proposes that it is time for the senior to learn a coherent sentence form. "This," he says, "is the time to take down your grammar of the English language from its shelf." Hoffman, however, has been negligent in reading his own style book, for he states that "two weeks for typing and proofreading is not too much."

Mr. Hoffman then examines in detail the nature of the footnote. We would explain his proposals, but that would take much of the fun out of reading his work. Suffice it to say that they are fascinating.

Proofreading rates only a brief discussion, but the harm resulting from a failure to practice the art is amply demonstrated by the three corrections penned upon the mimeographed pages. Another error slipped by the Department's eagle-eyes.

Last but not least, Seniors are told the proper weight paper to use. This is a truly handy manual.