Radcliffe Sextet Loses Tight Game To Jackson to Close Out Its Season

By Martha E. Miller

Despite a 38-36 overtime loss to Jackson College yesterday, the Radcliffe Basketball Club finished its season of intercollegiate play with a won-loss record surpassing that of the Harvard quintet.

During the season the Radcliffe varsity, paced by high-scoring forward Ann Luyten, registered decisive victories over Wheelock, Pine Manor, Sufolk, Lesley, and Brandeis, while dropping only one other contest.

The success of the Annex sextet can be attributed in part to the guarding squad, which plays a strong "line zone" defense, despite its average height of 5 feet, 4 inches.

Radcliffe's only other defeat in scheduled play this year was a 40-37 loss at St. Regis College, where the team faced not only tough opposition, but a cheering section complete with six cheerleaders. "Positively appalling," one Annex player noted.

"Regis goes in for basketball in a big way," she added. "They even have two coaches--one for the forwards and one for the guards." At Radcliffe, both offense and defense are coached by Mrs. Nate A. Parker, instructor in physical education.

As concerns sports, Radcliffe is "more a Boston school than a Big Seven school," Miss Luyten has explained. With the exception of Pembroke and Jackson, she said, the other women's schools in the Seven College Conference deem it "un-ladylike" to play full-length intercollegiate games, and will meet Radcliffe only in the annual Wellesley Playday.

The Radcliffe squad yesterday chose Lucy Busselle captain for next season.