Divinity Dean Sees Need of Readjustment

School's Expansion Creates Problems

The Divinity School must reappraise its relationships to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and other parts of the University, Douglas Horton, dean of the School, explained yesterday.

Horton stated that the rapid growth of the Divinity School necessitated an examination of old relationships and new problems which have arisen. He pointed out that the School has doubled its size over the past three years.

The growth has created acute problems of space, Horton said.

Divinity School's Role

He also called attention to the question of whether the Divinity School should be a separate professional school, such as the Business School, or whether it has a broader relationship to the University as a whole.

Horton emphasized that the current problems were not new, but that they had become more acute as the School has expanded.

The problems will be met on the basis of mutual cooperation between the faculties involved, Horton asserted.

"In the old days no special requirements were necessary, but now more definite relationships must be established," he said.

The Divinity School faculty has grown from two or three professors several years ago to its present size of 25.