Strong Navy Nine Defeats Crimson 12-6

By James S. Eilberg

An underrated Navy nine pounded out seventeen hits last Friday to trounce the varsity baseball team 12 to 6. The men from Annapolis tried hard to give the game away as all but one of the loser's runs were unearned, but three Crimson pitchers were even more indulgent.

Middie pitchers Dick Smith and Fred Anderson teased Harvard all afternoon, hitting two men, walking eight and tossing two wild pitches. But the Crimson left thirteen men stranded as the Navy hurlers gave up just seven scattered hits. The loss dropped the Crimson into fifth place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League.

The Middies wasted little time forging ahead, reaching Crimson starter Dave Brigham for four hits and two runs in the first. They added another in the third to lead 3 to 0.

Harvard temporarily closed the gap with two runs in the bottom of the third. Tom Bergantino singled to lead off. Then Navy's first baseman, Mike Willen threw John Simourian's ground ball down to second, but the ball hit Bergantino in the back and glanced off into centerfield, putting men on second and third. Bergantino scored when John Getch grounded out and Simourian came home on Smith's wild pitch.

Brigham gave up four more runs before he was relieved by Joel Bernstein in the fifth. Bernstein gave up three runs over the next four innings and Navy scored their final three off Don Hoffman, who pitched the ninth.

The Crimson scored twice in the sixth on a walk, a double by Haughey, a ground out and Smith's second wild pitch. Pinch hitters George McGarrity and Dom Repetto each singled to drive in the final Crimson scores in the ninth.

Harvard lost more than face, however, when both Walt Stahura and Bob Hastings were injured and had to leave the game.

The freshmen were rained out in their game with Holy Cross last Saturday.