McCarthy, 47, Succumbs To Hepatitis in Hospital

Senator Joseph R. McCarthy died yesterday at 6:02 p.m. of acute hepatitis. He was 47 years old.

The two-term junior senator from Wisconsin, whose activities as chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigation gave the word "McCarthyism" to the American vocabulary, died at the Bethesda Naval Hospital in Washington, D.C. Since his 1954 censure by the Senate, he had frequented the hospital with sinus trouble, bursitis, and a knee injury.

During McCarthy's Communist investigations which took place from 1950 through 1954, he made several attacks upon the University and upon President Pusey. Pusey sponsored a campaign pamphlet against the Senator when he was still president of Lawrence College in Appleton, Wis.

Of Pusey's appointment to the University, McCarthy commented, "Harvard's loss is Wisconsin's gain." He called Harvard "a privileged sanctuary for Fifth Amendment Communists" and criticized mothers who send "their children anywhere they might be open to indoctrination by Communist professors."

McCarthy first tangled with "Communist" professors here in November, 1953, when he summoned Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics, before his subcommittee. On January 17, 1954, he summoned Furry and Leon J. Kamin '49, former research assistant in Social Relations, before his subcommittee hearing in Boston, at which time the two declined to use the fifth amendment.

Both faculty members refused to divulge the names of their former party associates, however, and McCarthy warned them that he would request the Senate to cite them for contempt, which it did. The two were found innocent.

In the fall of 1953, McCarthy criticized the University for maintaining Furry on the Faculty, although he had no tenure. He demanded to know the University's attitude on retaining instructors who used the Fifth Amendment.

President Pusey replied that the University is "absolutely, unalterably and finally opposed to Communism," but denied the presence of communists in the Faculty.