Election Fiasco

As the Yuletide approaches ever quickly, many students are completing their packing in preparation for an early departure from Cambridge. With so many undergraduates leaving College in advance of the official date for vacation recess, the Student Council has shown considerable shortsightedness in planning to hold its elections this coming Wednesday.

Under the Council constitution, elections for House representatives must be held in December; but there is no genuine reason why the new Council could not have been chosen earlier in the month, when most students were still in town.

In response to many complaints of the late date for the election, the Adams House Committee has announced that it will postpone conducting its elections until the first week in January, when most students are back and a meaningful vote can be obtained.

Council President Marc E. Leland has stated that his group has no power to force the Committee to hold elections this Wednesday. Only similar decisions by other House Committees, therefore, would be an effective way of correcting the Council's rather inept handling of the entire voting situation.