Dawson Wins HYRC Presidential Election; Peterson Supporters Charge Ballot Stuffing

Alec B. Dawson '59 beat out David F. Peterson '60 by one vote to win the presidency of the Harvard Young Republican Club last night amid charges of ballot-stuffing.

After the last officer had been elected, Bruce MacGregor '59, a Peterson supporter, moved that the ballots for the presidential election be "impounded and recounted." He was ruled out of order by Elections Chairman Marc E. Leland '59, who pointed out that Peterson had already made a successful motion declaring Dawson elected unanimously.

Later, Frank R. Rossiter '59 charged that two of the people who voted in the election were not qualified to do so. Rossiter claimed that two sophomores joined the club too late to vote in the elections. Earlier in the meeting, many members laughed derisively when Benno P. Ludwig '59 praised "the principles of young Republicanism" in his speech nominating Peterson. Ludwig also aroused laughter when he asked for "leadership, not dictatorship; coordination, not subordination."

Peterson, who was later elected a member of the HYRC Planning Committee, announced several weeks ago that he was "out of the race." Harold Hestnes '58, who also declared himself out of the race several weeks ago, commented that Peterson had used "clever strategy," since he could gather support while Dawson was "off his guard."

Two Peterson Supporters Elected

Two of Peterson's supporters were also elected to offices, Christopher T. Bayley '60, was elected Operations Director, third ranking office in the club, and Hugh W. Barber, Jr. '60, became a member of the Planning Committee.