Yale Routs Lacrosse Team, 17-9, With Highest Goal Total of Year

By John R. Adler

A porous defense and a handicapped goalie permitted Yale the highest number of goals scored on the lacrosse team this year, as the Crimson bowed to the Elis at New Haven Saturday by a score of 17 to 9. The freshmen also fared poorly, losing to an undefeated Bullpup team by a 17-7 count.

The game was a decided letdown from the varsity's top performance of the season against Williams last week, but injuries again were a major factor in the defeat. Dick MacKinnon guarded the nets gamely, in spite of a shoulder separation suffered in practice Thursday, but on at least four goals he just couldn't raise his stick fast enough to block the shot.

Too battered to put up much of a fight against the speedy Eli attackmen, the defense permitted men to break free in front of the goal during the whole game. Crimson clearing was almost non-existent, a sharp contrast to Yale's accurate clearing, which quickly moved the ball up to a midfielder on the center-line.

Whenever they were able to control the ball, the attackmen played competently. Each of the starting trio of Dub Mallonee, Nick Lamont and Jerry Pyle scored three goals, Mallonee's three giving him a total of 30 for the season.

The high-scoring game opened with nine goals in the first period, four of them by the Crimson. The Elis' attackman Jack Allen tallied the first of his six goals at 3:11, then, after Yale had scored again at 5:07, Mallonee and Pyle tied the game with markers at at 5:17 and 6:23.

Three more Yale scores brought the count to 5 to 2 after ten minutes, but Mallonee and Lamont narrowed the margin at the end of the period. The Crimson tallied twice in the second period, but the Blue poured six goals past MacKinnon, who collected twenty-one saves during the 50 minutes he played.

The contest turned into a rout after a goal by Lamont and two by Pyle had made the score 14 to 9 at 8:37 of the period. Allen shook loose for three of the last four Eli goals, the final one off Chris Stone, who replaced MacKinnon when he was slashed on the ankle.

In the freshman game Yale over-whelmed the Crimson in all-round skill, showing a more polished playmaking ability. Dave Bohn was high scorer for Harvard with five goals.