U.N. General Assembly Rejects Chinese Communist Membership; Governors Criticize Eisenhower

By The ASSOCIATED Press

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y.--The United States succeeded Tuesday in again getting the United Nations to sidetrack the question of Red China's membership. But the margin of victory was the lowest on record.

By a vote of 44-28 the 81-nation General Assembly approved a U.S. proposal to postpone the issue for another year. Nine nations abstained. Last year the vote was 48 for, 27 against and six abstentions.

In approving the U.S. proposal the Assembly rejected India's request that the Assembly open full-scale debate on Red China's representation. It also decided against considering any proposals for excluding the Chinese Nationalists or to seat the representatives of Peiping.

Governors Criticize Integration Policies

LEXINGTON, Ky.--Two Southern governors criticized President Eisenhower Tuesday for what they called his uncertain stand on integrating schools. But, as the Southern Governors Conference headed toward final sessions, it appeared doubtful the governors could agree on a positive stand themselves.

Tennessee Gov. Frank Clement said he might introduce a resolution reaffirming states rights and state responsibility. At a news conference, Clement criticized the President for vacationing instead of trying to help solve the segregation and other problems facing all the governors.