Two Will Enter New York Club Squash Tourney

Only two players will represent the Crimson squash team in the Harvard Club of New York's Invitation Tournament next Saturday and Sunday. Because of examination commitments for most team members, only Gerry Emmet, second man on the varsity, and Fred Vinton, number five, will compete in the tourney.

Also next weekend is the Club's more advanced competition for the Harry Cowles Trophy, which honors the late Crimson squash coach. Since the title was established 12 years ago, no Harvard player has won the tournament, which is on a par with a national amateur championship. This year there are no varsity team members entered.

P. E. Truesdale, Jr. '44, committee chairman, gives top seeds in the annual tourney to Diehl Mateer, recent winner of the U.S. Open at Pittsburgh, and Henri Salaun, current national amateur champion. Both have dominated the last nine New York tournaments. Mateer has won five, and Salaun has won four times, including the last two.

Harry Cowles, for whom the trophy was named in 1947, was varsity coach here from 1922 to 1937. His players won ten national championship, three team titles, and four intercollegiate tourneys during his tenure.

One of his proteges was Jack Barnaby '32, present squash coach. Another was Germain G. Glidden '36, who organized the annual event at the New York Club.